Welcome to the Workforce section of the Information Services Division website. ISD collects a variety of information on staff employed in NHS Scotland, an overview of which is presented in the following web pages.
The information collected and presented within this section is used by ISD and NHS Boards to support local, regional and national workforce planning, and will only be used and disclosed in connection with these purposes. Links to relevant documentation and policy guidance can be found here.
The latest National Statistics publication of Workforce Information, for data as at 31st December 2015 was released on the 1st March 2016 and contains information on:
- All staff in post
- Vacancy numbers for nursing and midwifery, alllied health professions and consultants.
- Staff Turnover
Data for general practitioners (GPs) is no longer included in this publication. You can find the latest GP data via the ISD GP Workforce page here.
Information on NHSScotland staff turnover is published each quarter. The current table has two tabs showing:
- Net (NHS Scotland level) leavers, joiners and turnover by staff group.
- Gross (NHS Board level) leavers, joiners and turnover by staff group.
The methodology has been revised and will be used in the next publication (7 June 2016). The table will be less complex and will show annual turnover information (for the period 1 April - 31 March) by staff group at Scotland, region and NHS Board level. The main changes to the table are:
- Five year trend by financial year will be shown. Quarterly information is removed.
- Net and gross information is removed.
- One tab showing information on leavers and joiners from the relevant area (i.e. NHSScotland altogether, NHS Board or region).
The new methodology is explained below:
- Leavers are defined as employees who were in post as at 31 March year n and not in post at 31 March year n+1.
- Joiners are defined as employees who are in post as at 31 March year n+1 and were not in post at 31 March year n.
- Turnover is calculated as the number of leavers divided by staff in post as at 31 March year n.
If you have any comments or feedback on the proposed changes to the table please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org by 6 May 2016.